June 17, 2010

Fiction Opened My Eyes to Reality...

I Bet They Would...Image by The Rocketeer via Flickr
I recently finished the book The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. It made me think of how unpredictable life can be. How a predator can be anybody in your city, and that this certain stereotype may look like the next door neighbor; kind, shy, and unknown, or the complete opposite friendly, outgoing, and chatty.

In this story there is a killer/predator on the loose. Everyone is looking for the man and the girls who have been abducted. Of course this book has a lot more involved(a girl who can sense the dead, and a great high school romance) It's a YA(young adult) book people. ;o)

Yet, it made me start to question more than what I see on the State Sex Offenders website. How many more predators are out in our world who have never been caught? Those who are thinking of trying it, and the few who just hide out until they loose control.

It scares me to think I have to be even more cautious with my children, but too cautious is better than not at all.

Be informed, teach your children, and protect those you love. Always check your State Sex Offenders website(Megan's Law) and research around you. It all begins with the parents.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: