March 4, 2010

Home school or not?

Figure 2. Home School Students Compared to the...Image via Wikipedia
I home schooled my kids for three years. This year we put them back into the public system. Many of my home school friends asked how they are doing in public school? How are my days without teaching? And so on...


My answer is simple, my girls are struggling with the change. I told my friends not to put their kids in public unless they are very strong, and the parent can be even stronger.  Let me explain.


My now third grader has never been in the system.  Going from free to walk, eat, talk, and work to a very structured day. Many rules that are embedded into the children's mind start in kindergarten. Many learning techniques that a public school does on a daily basis is not how home schoolers work. Don't get me wrong, not all of them are bad. My third grader is very outgoing and very willing to learn, but it has now been seven months, and is just now starting to follow the structure the others have been drilled to learn for years. My child never struggled in home school.


As the parent, I am in the class weekly. I am in constant contact with the teacher, who if you have a great teacher that will work with you, and listen to the differences really makes a huge difference. Also having a school counselor involved with the transfer to public is an amazing help. Basically the counselor will help the child not struggle with the change, and work with them to make the up coming years memorable. A great Principle that is knowledgeable in home schooling is an amazing asset too. I am lucky to have these people to help with this long transition. My child loves, I mean LOVES public school. 


You may be asking will I ever home school them again? My answer is simple: If that is necessary then yes I will.


♥AZ♥
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: